Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Quick Bread from Southern United State

I love Buttermilk biscuit. I adore Southern and Creole food. I find the kitchens are so unique – it tells many stories and history of different cultures (African, French, Native American, Spanish and Caribbean) through their vegetables, herbs and spices that they brought with them and how they adapted to the new world of cultural integrations. Since, I moved from the United State. I was often craved the food from the region. The only way I can satisfy myself is to learn how to cook the dishes.
Today I will share one of my favorite - a quick bread recipe. It is a buttery Buttermilk Biscuit that almost melt in your mouth. I love them for breakfast with all kind of honey and to company the meals. Jårg goes further adding his European way of eating bread by making little sandwiches with different kind of cheese and he is happy. After many recipes and experiments. I finally got the recipe down to the flavor and texture that I was searching. Don't let the number of steps scare you the recipe is actually very easy. 
Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
2 cups Self Rising Flour you can subsitute this (if you don't have self rising flour subsitute it as follow -  for each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix well)
1 tablespoons of Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 teaspoon fine Brown Sugar
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 stick chilled Unsalted Butter about 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon melted Unsalted Butter for brushing
Flour for working the dough
Heat the oven at 200 c
Mix dry ingredient together in a bowl.
  1. Add butter and mix together with dry ingredients by hand or fork until form grain like rice.
  2. Slowly add Buttermilk and mix it hand or fork until it form a sticky dough 
  3. Dust flour on the working space. Bring the dough and work on it with hand for about 3 minutes. Add more flour as you work on until the dough is not too sticky.
  4.  Flat the dough with hand about 1.5 cm folds it and flat it out again couple times
  5. Roll the dough with rolling pin to about 1.5 cm
  6. Cut the biscuit with round cutter or you can use a glass with about 5 cm in diameter. It should make 12 pieces
  7.  Then I lightly shape each biscuit with hand to about 4.5 cm to make sure the texture is loose. The form will look a bit organic.
  8. Place the biscuit closely on baking sheet line with parchment/baking paper or non stick baking sheet, so they can rise upward not outward.
  9. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the top is nicely brown. 
Serve warm with meals, for breakfast with honey, jam, butter, eggs dishes or whatever you like. You can store and heat them for next day.
Follow me for more of my favorite Southern and Creole recipes.

1 comment:

przemek sobocki illustration said...

i just only wish to have an oven!