Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Already I received several requests from friends for Fennel Salad I made for x-mas dinner. I love this amazing salad - a light, crunchy, fruity and refreshing at this time of the year. They are seasonal ingredients available in our local market in Germany. Also you can find Pomelo in Asia except for the Fennel bulbs which you may have to pay a fortune for them. I will experiment and try to find a substitute for Fennel bulbs and will let you know.
Fennel Salad with Pamelo and Citrus Dressing
For 4 serving
Ingredients for Salad
2 medium size Fennel bulbs
1/2 Red Onion, thinly Sliced
1 1/2 cups of Pomelo fruit - a citrus fruit look like giant grapefruit. It comes from South East Asia or Middle East. Grapefruit can be substitute if you cannot find Pamelo in your local market.
1 cup Pomegranate
Ingredients for Dressing
2 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed Organic Lime and Lemon juice – reduced the amount if you use Grapefruit instead of Pamelo
2 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed Orange juice
1 Tablespoon shredded of Organic Orange zest
1 Tablespoon of shredded Organic Lemon and Lime zest
2 Tablespoon of Walnut Oil or ground nut oil or any light Salad Oil
1 tablespoon of chopped Flat Leaves Parsley
Freshly ground Pepper
Chili or Cayenne Pepper to taste (optional)
1. With hand slicer – shave Fennel Bulbs and Red Onion in a big salad bowl
2. Peel and separate Pomelo fruit into bites pieces. Add to the bowl with Fennel and Red Onion.
3. Pomegranate, Walnut Oil, Orange Zest, Lime Juice, Sea Salt, Freshly ground Pepper, Chili/Cayenne Pepper and chopped Parsley leaves
4. Gently mix the salad with hand. That the Pomegranate and Pamelo fruits are not break and juice comes out.
5. Taste and add salt, pepper, chili or lime juice according your desire flavor. Be sure the salad dressing flavor is to compliment Fennel, Pamelo and Pomegranate not too strong. Otherwise you will lose refreshing flavor of this salad combination.
6. Top with Orange Segments and serve
This refreshing Winter Salad is seasonal at end of the year. It is wonderful as starter before heavy meal or Seafood dishes.
- Top with simple grilled seafood or grilled boneless or skinless chicken breast as a nice lunch or light dinner
- Serve between 2 main dishes if you plan many courses
- Add shaved Parmesan cheese