Friday, May 7, 2010
My local supermarket was offering fantastic sales on organic mango and avocado. I took this rare opportunity to fill the fruit basket. The Mangoes were in a perfect stage between young & ripe. My mouth was watering for Mango Salad…beautiful memory of home…Thailand. After tasting a piece I decided to do a nice dinner salad as my craving had grown.
The mango was still firm and lightly crisp. The flavor was fruitful sweet and sour. As a main dinner course I want add chicken breast. Here we go Mango Salad – the East meets West version and of course with touch of Thai flavor.
When you purchase the mango make sure it fresh and firm – test by lightly squeeze the fruit. It should not be red or orange –that can be ripe. The measurement of the ingredients for salad sauce may need adjustment, depends upon the tanginess of fresh mango. I suggest you taste it before you start. Keep in mind the combination of 3 flavors – sweet, sour and salty (triple S) to guide you. If you do your shopping at an Asian shop you may have selection of products from Southeast Asia. They can be very sour that depends upon the kind of mango you buy. Please ask the sales person. If your mango is quite sour then reduce the amount of mango you use and adjust the flavor of your salad sauce unless you love very tangy flavor.
Steamed Chicken Mango Salad
For steamed Chicken
1 large Chicken Breast – room temperature
1 fresh lemon grass use only white part, cut into 3-4 cm pieces
½ medium Onion or some green part of Scallions or Spring Onions
4-5 cups Water to steam the chicken
1 ½ to 2 Cups of fresh Mango cut into strips
1 large Carrot cut into strips then soak in cold water for ca 10 minutes, drain. (This makes it crisp)
1 medium Cucumber cut into strips then soak in cold water for ca 10 minutes, drain. (This makes it crisp)
2 large Shallots lengthily sliced
3 Scallions or Spring Onions sliced
3 tablespoons chopped Coriander
1 small Red Sweet Pepper cut into thin strips
1 Red Chili Pepper seeded and thinly sliced
3 cups chopped Arugula Salad
½ cup Roasted Cashew nuts
¼ cup fruity Olive Oil
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 ½ to 2 tablespoon of Raw Sugar
1 to 1 ½ Tablespoon of Fish Sauce
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Adjust the amount of Sweet, Sour and Salty according to Mango flavor
1. Heat all ingredients for Steamed Chicken in a small sauce except Chicken Breast until almost boil.
2. Add Chicken Breast and reduce the heat to low-medium. Let it simmer for ca. 10 minutes or cook through.
3. Take the sauce pan of the heat and let it sits for ca.12-15 minutes.
4. Take Chicken Breast out from steamed liquid. Let it cool to room temperature. Reserve liquid to drink after the meal.
5. Shred Chicken Breast with hands. Make sure the piece it is not too big or too small. You should be able to have a nice bite of chicken breast.
6. In large salad bowl put shredded Chicken Breast and all vegetables and herbs except chopped Arugula.
7. In a small bowl mix all ingredients for Salad Sauce and mix well.
8. Pour small amount of Salad Sauce at a time over the salad mix, gently turning the salad several times. Taste and add more sauce or certain flavor as needed. Think of Sweet, Sour and Salty.
9. Using large plates, spread chopped Arugula equally in each plate. In center place Steam Chicken and Mango Salad and top with Roasted Cashew Nuts. Please divide salad juice on each plate.
Serve hot liquid from steamed chicken in 4 tea cups after salad. Accompany with the salad with small bowl of Jasmine Rice to complete a wonderful light dinner or Lunch. It is enough for 8 servings as an appetizer.